On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 10:28:36AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:

> > The 32-bit binary is what suffers the consequences.
> >
> > The workload that /causes/ the problem can be anything which creates
> > lots of files.
> >

> I am aware of that, but having something concretely easily
> reproducible that appears realistic makes it a lot easier for me to
> talk to them about doing something to address it. Otherwise it's all
> just hypothetical and the conversation gets difficult.

A busy mail server using postfix and creating / deleting tons of queue
files as it processes? I guess it's really hard to come up with another
case without specific usage patterns (ie, deleting a ton of files and
recreating them over and over, some websites might do this?)

Anyhow, How about this:

* Today / soon, I will just reinstall all the buildvm-x86 vm's.
Thats pretty trivial to do (thanks ansible). It may cause some builds to
restart as I move things around, but it shouldn't be too much.

* If the problem seems to go away, then great and we can work on a
longer term solution, which could be some btrfs changes, switching
filesystems, dropping i686, etc. ;)

* If the problems persist, I can just reinstall again with xfs and the
inode32 mount flag.

* If that doesn't fix it, we may need to delay the mass rebuild and sort
out another fix.

kevin