On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 10:21 AM Jaroslav Mracek <jmra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 6:23 AM Jaroslav Mracek <jmracek(a)redhat.com&gt;
> > wrote:
> >
> > Does that mean the issues with dnf [2] we able to be solved all the
> > time but just weren't investigated?
>
> The issue was investigated also with DNF, but the issue was well hidden,
> because the code uses hard coded set for downloaded elements. For most
> investigation we used the biggest repository (Fedora) that showed a high
> memory usage and we tried to mitigate what can we do to improve the
> situation. The real issue was with update repository that surprisingly uses
> slightly more RAM then fedora repository.
>
> With DNF5 we reinvest it as a completely different issue. DNF5 has a better
> option for investigation that allow us to discover the real source of the
> issue. We knew that DNF5 fixed RAM usage for `fedora` repository therefore we
> continued to search in other directions. Basically we were surprised why we
> got the report with DNF5 because we know that RAM usage was  improved with
> DNF5 and default setting. It means that there where two issues that overlaps
> with symptoms but has a different reproducers. Solving the first one (too big
> metadata to process) uncover the second issue with processing updateinfo
> metadata.
>
> The status of the issue - We have to wait until our patch is reviewed and
> merged in libsolv and we have to wait until libsolv creates the upstream
> release, because downstream of libsolv in Fedora is not under DNF team
> control and the main admin doesn't like any downstream patches.

Looking at upstream releases it seems they don't release often, in the
last 18 months there's been 4 releases anywhere between a month and 9
months apart.

I don't see how it's feasible to sit around and tell users "I'm sorry,
you have to wait until upstream bothers to release before you can have
a fix to enable you to update your system" when there is a fix
available. Can you please explain that to me? It is entirely
reasonable to pull in a fix that is headed upstream to fix a key
problem in a key distro component so that it doesn't remain broken for
MONTHS!