On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 5:08 PM Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 22. 08. 23 v 22:55 Richard Fontana napsal(a):
> > The use of `+` is documented at
> > https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/v2-draft/SPDX-license-expressions/
> > (there's probably a more recent version)
> >
> > <excerpt>
> > D.3 Simple license expressions
> >
> > A simple <license-expression> is composed one of the following:
> >
> > An SPDX License List Short Form Identifier. For example: CDDL-1.0
> > An SPDX License List Short Form Identifier with a unary "+" operator
> > suffix to represent the current version of the license or any later
> > version. For example: CDDL-1.0+
> > An SPDX user defined license reference:
> > ["DocumentRef-"1*(idstring)":"]"LicenseRef-"1*(idstring)
> > </excerpt>
> >
> > I believe CDDL-1.0 is like MPL-2.0 in having a built-in "later versions"
> > clause.
>
> Wow, this is new to me.
>
> Do we want to have generally accepted? Or each case of + license needs to be
> evaluated separately?

I think we can document a general policy that if a license `foo` is
allowed in Fedora, `foo+` is also allowed. We are only treating the
*GPL family differently because of SPDX's (possibly unfortunate)
decision to do the same.

When I said things like "Apache License 2.0 or any later version" are
quite rare, that was an understatement. "Extremely uncommon" would be
more accurate.

Richard