Additionally, see here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63199763/maintained-alternatives-to-pypdf2

On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 10:21:29 PM CDT, Globe Trotter via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Thanks!

On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 5:39 AM Sandro <li...@penguinpee.nl> wrote:

> On 27-08-2023 06:33, Globe Trotter via devel wrote:
> > I am the maintainer of python-PyPDF2 for Fedora (which I do since I
> > was interested in pdf-stapler that I also maintain as a consequence).
> > For a while now, upstream has been wanting all PyPDF2 users to pypdf.
> > I was wondering how I go about this for the F38 repos. Do I need to
> > go through packaging again, or is there an easier way to update
> > python3-PyPDF2 to python3-pypdf? If so, what do I have to do?
>
> Could you provide some links to the upstream sources of PyPDF2 and
> pypdf? And me be also to the issue where the switch from PyPDF2 to pypdf
> is discussed.

I understand that the pypdf maintainer is the same as that of PyPDF2 and says
here that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34837707/how-to-extract-text-from-a-pdf-file

that PyPDF2 and PyPDF3 and PyPDF4 packages are not maintained.

> I'm assuming PyPDF2 and pypdf are separate packages. In that case you
> would need to submit pypdf as a new package. Once pdf-stapler is built
> against pypdf you can retire PyPDF2 if no other package depends on it.

The above search indicates they are, and that there is a pypdf3.

> If pypdf is a rename of PyPDF2 you'd submit a re-review of the package
> and you need to take care of proper Provides: and Obsoletes: in the new
> package. See the docs for more info:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Renaming_Process/
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#renaming-or-replacing-existing-packages

Thanks, simply renaming and obsoleting seems to me to be a better option, and I
will look into that.

Thanks again!