On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 03:29:44PM +0800, Kate Hsuan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We would like to replace power-profiles-daemon with tuned. There are
> many power-related software that offer similar functions. Advanced
> users may install several power management tools, for example, tuned
> and power-profiles-daemon (ppd), and get confused about which tools
> manage the system and cause unexpected behaviors for the system. By
> integrating power-profiles-daemon with tuned, the user can get extra
> features to finetune the system, and the basic feature provided by ppd
> can be used according to the user's demand. It also can reduce the
> efforts of the maintainer.
>
> The impact of this plan would be gnome-control-center (power panel),

Also gnome-shell directly integrates with power-profiles-daemon. It is
critical that both gnome-shell and gnome-control-center has no logic of
their own to decide what a high level profile is, and changing the
profile in gnome-control-center should immediately be reflected in
gnome-shell, and vice versa. This is important because tweaking the
profile with either gnome-control-center and gnome-shell should for all
practical purposes do the exact same thing, meaning any actual logic
must be a layer below them.

This means something, e.g. tuned or a wrapper around it, needs to
provide these high level profiles that power-profiles-daemon currently
expose.

> KDE, sysprof, and tuned (or some projects depending on ppd). We should
> move the ppd API and features to tuned to provide the same features of
> it. From the API aspect, we also can design a new API for the basic
> feature, ppd provided but the software dependent on ppd should be
> modified to use the new API. Although, for the long-term plan, a set
> of new API is a good option. For the short-term plan, moving the
> original one to tuned is good for those applications depending on ppd.

Any long term future API must still provide the high level "dumb" API
for gnome-shell and gnome-control-center to consume for the reasons
described above.

Jonas