On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 2:02 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Upstream Node.js has not supported the i686 architecture officially
> since Node.js 10.x (released in 2018). As of Node.js 22, it appears
> that v8 will no longer build at all on that architecture.
>
> I'm not particularly willing to go to any great lengths to keep it
> alive on i686, but I want to know if there's anyone out there who is
> *desperately* in need of it in Fedora.

Most (all?) nodejs "library" packages were retired, right?

And even if there are still some of them around, most of them should
be "noarch"? In that case, they shouldn't need adaptations, since koji
now no longer schedules noarch builds to run on i686.
But those nodejs packages that are not noarch (however many of them
are still in Fedora) will need ExcludeArch: i686.

However, another problem might arched non-nodejs packages that need
nodejs at build-time. It looks like there's a bunch of packages that
"BuildRequires: nodejs" - among them, chromium, firefox, thunderbird,
RStudio, qt?-webengine, tinygo, etc. I'm not sure how many of these
still build on i686, but some might not be able to disable the nodejs
BR, so they would need to stop building on i686 too.

Fabio