On Mon, 2024-05-13 at 13:09 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> On Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:14, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > On Mon, May 13, 2024, 11:50 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <
> > domi...@greysector.net> wrote:

> > > Also, how did this pass review?
> > >
> > > License:        LGPLv3+
> > >
> > > And I'll answer myself: it hasn't or at least I can't find any
> > > review
> > > ticket.
> > >
> > > Nils, could you explain how this package ended up in Fedora?
> >
> > Standard procedure, everything seems to be in order:
> >
> > https://pagure.io/releng/fedora-scm-requests/issue/62152
>
> Thanks, I couldn't find the link.
>
> > The review exception is valid because it's an alternative version
> > of an
> > existing package, and Nils is also the maintainer of the existing
> > package.
>
> Sure. That doesn't excuse importing a spec that doesn't follow
> current
> packaging guidelines. It'd be nice if such requests had to pass at
> least
> some automated checks (like successful scratch build, installability
> check,
> SPDX validation, i.e. basic sanity checks) before human approval is
> sought.
> I expect nobody wants to import broken stuff knowingly, but these
> things
> can be missed.

You’re totally right.

> > While most people prefer that alternative versions carry a "compat"
> > suffix
> > (i.e. the new version is the one without the suffix, and the old
> > version
> > has the suffix), this is - contrary to popular belief - not
> > actually
> > required or even mentioned in the packaging guidelines.
>
> Also correct.
>
> And Nils, I'm not saying you did anything wrong. Just that it'd be a
> good idea to announce this, even if to invite testers.

And here, too. 😉

I shouldn’t have rushed things with the new package as much as I did,
neither should I have kept it to myself. You’d think by now I would
have learned to communicate ahead of time… 🫣

>  I actually have a
> GIMP user at home who might want to check it out. Thanks for working
> on
> the new GIMP version!

Great to hear! I’ll fix the outstanding issues I’m aware of shortly
(with a little more diligence) and will hopefully have something
testable finished soon.

Ciao,
Nils

--
Nils Philippsen / Senior Software Engineer / Red Hat
PGP fingerprint: D0C1 1576 CDA6 5B6E BBAE 95B2 7D53 7FCA E9F6 395D