On Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 19:00, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 6:23 PM Leigh Scott <leigh123li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 4:31 PM Olivier Fourdan
> > > <ofourdan(a)redhat.com&gt; wrote:
> > >
> > > Not directly related, but hopefully not entirely off-topic:
> > > Are there plans to update the xorg-x11-server package itself to the
> > > new stable branch too?
> > >
> > > It's been stuck on the 1.20.14 release for a long time (on the last
> > > release from the 1.20 branch from 2021 - admittedly, with a lot of
> > > backports).
> > > But the last stable release of xorg-server (21.1.13) was just a month ago.
> > >
> > > Fabio
> >
> > Updating the xorg abi would mean retirement for nvidia 340xx and 390xx.
>
> Does this mean "I'm against it" or "it would involve retiring two
> legacy NVidia driver packages"?

I'd love to see an updated version of xorg-x11-server, as it'd allow
dropping most, if not all of those backports and it'd bring in a lot of
bug fixes and improvements.

Looking at nVidia 340 and 390 driver series, the last releases were:
340.108 on 2019.12.23, i.e. ~4.5 years ago
390.157 on 2022.11.22, i.e. ~2.5 years ago

However, 390.157 supports Xorg 21.1 series:
https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/390.157/README/minimumrequirements.html
so I think we would not have to retire 390 series driver just yet.

Heck, the 390 series supports the GT 525M GPU in my 12 year old Dell XPS
15 laptop. I should actually try it as the nouveau driver doesn't work
very well with it.

So, I think losing compatibility with binary nVidia drivers that were
EOL 4.5 years ago while still being compatible with drivers supporting
12yo GPUs is an acceptable trade-off for bumping the Xorg xserver to
21.1.x in F41.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://fedoraproject.org
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that