[I've dropped devel-announce from the CC]

On 01/12/15 21:22 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:15:38PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:57:53PM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 28/11/15 20:05 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 09:24:21AM +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> >>= System Wide Change: Fedora 24 Boost 1.60 uplift =
> >
> >Does this mean "upgrade" or "update"?
>
> I just copied that from the previous change proposals, but I'm not
> sure what the difference between update and upgrade is in this
> context.
>
> Which should be it be?

I mean why call an update to a package an "uplift"?

That doesn't answer my question ;-)

Let me reconsider this reply, since I don't know if you're a
native English speaker.

"uplift" is a rather pretentious word which means a raising to a
higher intellectual or spiritual level
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uplift has links to the definition in
other languages on the left hand column).

"upgrade" or "update" (pretty much the same thing) would be the normal
way to describe a simple updated version of some software, which I
think is more appropriate here.

Agreed. Your original question was ambiguous, thanks to English. I
took it for granted that "uplift" was inappropriate and read your
question as "Does this mean upgrade or does this mean update?" which
is why I said I don't know what the difference would be in this
context.

What you meant was "Does this mean one of upgrade or update, rather
than uplift?" and the answer is yes, but I asked which one of upgrade
or update it should be.

If it doesn't matter I'll just pick one and use that for future Boost
update proposals (I seem to have picked one already ;-)

Do you want the wiki page for the current proposal changed?