On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 02:54:44PM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-12-04 at 15:55 +0100, David Tardon wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 04:13:56PM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> > >  That helps, but then what? The user understands (s)he now has to find
> > > out how to fix it, and they have two options:
> > >
> > >   1) Some magic command to mark some/all of the unused deps. as used,
> > >      and repeat as necessary the next time you hit this.
> > >
> > >   2) Change the config. from the current gamble of save $0.0001 of disk
> > >      space on the upside, and hopefully only annoy the user a bit on the
> > >      other.
> >
> > In the yum world, the user has two options too:
> >
> > 1) Some magic command to run after remove to remove the now unneeded
> > cruft.
>
>  The vast majority of users don't care about saving that $0.0001 of disk
> space, so never need or want to run this and don't.

Sure, I'm not terribly concerned about disk use either: my root
partition is only 24% full, so I've got plenty of room for more stuff.

However, I don't necessarily want to install updates for software I
never use either, and packages that sit around will get updates on
occasion (some more than others).  More than once, I've uninstalled
packages I don't use so I don't have to wait for their updates to
download & install.

I've been using this feature for a long time now, and while I had a few
false positives at the beginning, I don't anymore.  YMMV, of course.