On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:38:08 +0100
Florian Festi <ffe...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/13/2016 02:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >

> > Am 13.01.2016 um 14:30 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> >>
> >> I don't think anyone said there was a need to reinstall from scratch
> >
> > so how do you translate "clearly not forward compatible"?
>
> "forward compatible" means the old version of a program being able to
> read/process newer version data.
>
> The current rpm versions will not be able to read the new database format.

I tend to use systemd-nspawn containers for building rpms. So for example, I
have a Fedora 24 system and use its dnf to create e.g. Centos 7 container
root and then build Centos rpms from within that container.  If I understand
the change correctly, this is going to break since the Centos 7 rpm-build
will not be able to read the database created by the Fedora 24 dnf.

I know more people using dnf/rpm to "manage" the containers and this is
somewhat a regression for us.  I'm not sure there is a way to prevent this
breakage... So just FYI. :)

Thanks and regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana