On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 04:53:08PM +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 01/13/2016 03:07 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > Say, for example, that Fedora 24 moves to the new format.  Will Fedora 34
> > be able to read Fedora 24 RPM databases?
>
> Fedora 25 will. Fedora 34 will probably not. If it turns out that
> reading 10 releases old database is really, really important. We will
> either keep the bdb support or offer some tools to basically do a rpmdb
> --exportdb which can be used to create a modern rpm database. Who is
> maintaining the BDB needed for this in 2021 is not a question I am going
> to answer, though.

I don't think I was clear.  I understand that for licensing reasons
BDB is being dropped.  My question relates entirely to this new
format, and is nothing to do with BDB.

Will the new format be forwards and backwards compatible?

I'm still unclear why you don't just use sqlite 3.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW