On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:10:02 -0800 (PST)
>From: Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: libXinerama
>
>  It ships with XFree86 and RH should have installed it in
>/usr/X11R6/lib/

My guess, is that he has a binary application he's downloaded,
which was compiled on Gentoo or some other Linux distribution
which ships all XFree86 libraries shared by default, and is
trying to run it on a Red Hat system, which ships libraries the
way XFree86 supplies them by default, which is no shared
libXinerama, and having an application failure.

I see this type of problem more often than I'd like to, however
the solution is simple for users experiencing problems with badly
compiled binaries:  Download the application's source code and
recompile it properly against the Red Hat system (or other
distribution conforming to XFree86's library defaults).  The
application will then link to the _proper_ libraries, and work on
any system, including broken systems that ship all libraries
shared by default presumeably in an effort to trigger software
malfunctions unnecessarily when the default static libraries get
incompatible API/ABIs changes without getting .so version bumps.
;o)

I see this type of issue reported about libXv the most,
libXxf86dga second to that, but presumeably all static-only
default libs are affected.  Hopefully 4.4.0 changes all static
libs in an incompatible way to encourage people to not override
XFree86's defaults for shared libraries.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris