On Tuesday 17 July 2012 Jul, you wrote:
> What we presently have in a local branch is:
>
> 1) Grabbing embedded color profiles from PNG and JPEG images (eventually
> support for more formats will come)

That would be excellent.

> 2) Non-Automatic conversion of color profiles at load. This is done through
> the constructor, where when loading an image you specify weather you preserve
> the color profile or you convert to Screen. The default behavior keeps the
> loaded image unchanged.

Hm... I would prefer to be able to specify a working space here -- not just the
screen target. That makes it possible to use a linear rgb profile to convert to
real linear rgb and actually be able to do stuff with the pixels.

> What we don't have:
> 1) Exporting images with embedded color profiles
> 2) Modifying a color profile (access only to high level data such as
> description and colorspace)
>
> The API looks as follows:
>
> enum QColorSpace {RGB, CMYK, Invalid}
>
> QColorProfile
> -------------
> QString description()
> QColorSpace colorspace()

For my applications, I would also want to be able to get the original profile
data out of QColorProfile, btw.
Especially when using the QScreen api.

> QImage
> -------------
> QColorProfile colorProfile()
> void setColorProfile(colorProfile)
> void convertToColorProfile(colorProfile)
>
> QScreen
> -------------
> QColorProfile colorProfile()
>
> Windows and Mac OS X have built in support for  color profile conversion. For
> linux X11 supports color profiles after loading several modules, otherwise
> uses sRGB. This is where the Oyranos project comes in.

On X11, you can use the X11 atom to check what the user has set -- that works
for both oyranos and colord managed desktops.

> All the color profile conversion takes place using the littleCMS library
> which seems to be sort of standard for that job. Oyranos is also using it.

yes, lcms2 is pretty much the standard. And it's small and excellent.

Boudewijn Rempt