On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 04:38:24 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 03:57:25 UTC, barry.harris wrote:

Sorry little rabbit, your are misguided in this belief. Back in day we all used C and this is the reason most "safer" languages exist today.

You can write pretty safe code in C these days, without too much trouble. We have the tooling and the knowledge to make that happen.. developed over decades - and both keep getting better, because the language is not subjected to a constant and frequent release cycle.

Ironically, the demands on programmers to adapt to constant change, is actually making applications less safe. - and least, that's my thesis ;-)

The real problem with using C these days (in some areas), is more to do with its limited abstraction power, not its lack of safety.

And also C is frowned upon (and C++ too for that matter), cause most programmers are so lazy these days, and don't want to write code - but prefer to just 'link algorithms' that someone else wrote.

I include myself in this - hence my interest in D ;-)

Keep those algorithms coming!

Those tools exist since 1979, so C programmers have had quite some time to actually use them.

"To encourage people to pay more attention to the official language rules, to detect legal but suspicious constructions, and to help find interface mismatches undetectable with simple mechanisms for separate compilation, Steve Johnson adapted his pcc compiler to produce lint [Johnson 79b], which scanned a set of files and remarked on dubious constructions."

Dennis Ritchie, https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/chist.html

Also, anyone that wasn't using safer systems programming languages before C got widespread outside UNIX, can spend some time educating themselves on BitSavers or Archive about all the systems outside AT&T that were developed in such languages since 1961.

The first well known, Burroughs B5000, has kept being improved and is sold by Unisys as ClearPath nowadays.

Or PL/8 used by IBM for doing RISC research, creating an compiler using an plugable architecture similar to what many think are LLVM ideas and the respective OS. They only switched to C, when they decided to bet on UNIX for going commercial with RISC.

There are only two reasons we are stuck with C, until we get to radically change computer architectures, UNIX like OSes, and embedded developers that won't use anything else even at point gun.

All the quantum computing research is using languages that don't have anything to do with C.