On Friday, 15 September 2023 at 21:49:17 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:

Ikey seems to still want to use D, so the main driving factor is the contributors, i wonder what are the exact reasons, pseudo memory safety can't be the only reason

I would guess that the following is the bigger problem:

"we don't quite have the resources to also be an upstream for the numerous D packages we'd need to create and maintain to get our works over the finish line."

This has long been a chicken-egg problem for D. We need more packages to attract more users, but we need more users building packages before we can attract more users.

DIP1000 is also a bit of marketing problem. We kinda-sorta promise that someday you'll be able to build memory safe programs without a GC. We need to either push through and get it done, or admit we're not actually going to get there and cut it.

I know there are ref-counted languages so theoretically it should be workable, but the in a language as complex as D there may be dragons on the edges. In any case, we should not be marketing something we can't actually do.
  • Re: SerpentOS... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Serp... Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • ... sighoya via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Serp... Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Serp... Greggor via Digitalmars-d-announce