From: Tim Gorman
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] NTS and traffic handling and digital

Please do not confuse the NTSD using the Winlink Classic program with the
Winlink 2000 email system. All of the NTSD Winlink Classic stations I connect
to stay within in the automatic sub-bands as laid out in FCC regulations,
Part 97.221(b). These are: 14095-140995khz and 14100.5-14112khz. In fact, all
of the stations I connect to on 20m are either at 14096khz or 14098khz. Some
other stations may use other frequencies but these are the main ones.

This is different from the Winlink 2000 email group which has statons on such
frequencies as 14065, 14069, 14070, 14105, 14107, and 14109khz. Please note
that the frequencies between 14100.5khz and 14112khz *are* designated by the
FCC as being for automatic type operation.

So if you want to get involved with handling NTS messages instead of email
messages, getting involved with the NTSD should not be an interference
problem.

Just as a plug - the FCC has put out RM-11305 and RM-11306 out for public
comment. They will both have significant impacts on digital users. Analyze
the proposals carefully and MAKE COMMENTS TO THE FCC. Make your analyses
carefully, some impacts of the proposals could actually result in more
interference to digital operations instead of less.

tim ab0wr

On Saturday 14 January 2006 16:45, John Bradley wrote:
> I would like to point out that Dave Struebel and the Winlink Group are
> responsible for most of the QRM we enjoy on HF from unattended Winlink
> stations, especially around 14105 to 14110.
>
> If Winlink, rather than spreading themselves out all over the band, were to
> confine their operations to a narrower segment, ie 14072 to 14080, and
> below 14105, leaving the OLIVIA and other similar modes some operating
> room, then it might be worthwhile getting involved with NTSD. This doesn't
> have to be done by regulation, just a gentlemen's agreement would suffice.
>
> Like many hams, I have a pactor 1 TNC sitting doing nothing, but don't want
> to make a bad situation worse . Until Winlink cleans up it's act, I don't
> want to be any part of more QRM
>
> John
> VE5MU

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org