It may be that the FCC is preparing hams for voice meaning any human
voice equivalent including digital or analog. My view is that some modes
don't play very well together, but when it comes to wide band digital
modes, we are now at the point that all kinds of content can be inside a
digital transmission and you would have no way to determine the content
by ear, only by machine decoding.

It is possible that the FCC might drop all automatic operation on 80
meters. Currently, that is what we have with the current R&O. My strong
preference would be to have a small area just above the non-phone areas
for digital wide band modes and automatic/semi automatic modes but that
is probably impossible now.

What we really have is a significant loss of data frequencies, the
complete opposite of what some of us wanted to see happen and expected
to happen.

As far as automatic modes go, they always need to be carefully
segregated from human modes, unless they have real time busy channel
detection. That should be written into the rules now that it is
technically possible to do this.

Luckily, the damage has been done on a band that is mostly used for
shorter range transmission and is less often used for inter-region
traffic. Imagine if this had been done on 20 meters!

At least many of us can agree that this R&O is flawed and has created
some serious errors and conflicts. Somehow, the engineering people
dropped the ball and did not explain to the commissioners the
interrelated effects some of these decisions would have. You can not
expect the commissioners themselves to be all that aware of the
technical aspects as they have to look at this more as a political
decision. But they still need to insure that the decisions are sound
policy. (By the way, when I say political decision, I do not necessarily
imply that means something bad).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: