As an operator who ran government radio facilities for 30 years; there is no
way a government station is going to know who else is on the freq, unless it
is easily determined CW or FSK, and mostly they dont care.  If I popped up
looking for a clear freq, to send my other end to, and there was a signal
there - I went looking elsewhere.  If it were an ASSIGNED frequency (versus
just within a band I was allowed), to me, and someone else was on it, I
simply would fire up the transmitter, and they wouldnt be there long, or if
they were, I called my good buddies over at the FCC monitoring office and
they made a determination who/where it was, and if it happened day after
day, they would contact the state department, who would contact the foreign
equivalent and work it out.  If it was a US station, they would immediately
call them and tell them to get off, as it wasnt on their assignment.

Even though a "band" is shared with government or official transmitters, it
doesnt mean they are going to wait for someone to get off.  It simply means
that you will not intefere with someone who IS ALREADY THERE.  If no one is
there. you have every right to transmit on an unused (shared) band.  If he
fires  up on top of you - you simply have no right to complain - as he is
the primary user.  Under normal circumstances these freqs are not "assigned"
as to an exacty freq, but he can slide anywhere within the band.  Some
government operators start thinking it is THEIR assigned freq, and keep
going back to the same place every day, but that isnt necessarily so.  Its
just habit.

When I supervised ( or was just running) a receiver site, I tried to insure
that I or those who I supervised, never got on ham freqs (for instance) but
we had the right to use those bands in an emergency.  We had a complete
listing, cycle-by-cycle of the whole spectrum of who was assigned each
particular band and sub-band.  Some freqs, assigned by the ITU were to be
avoided at all costs to allow health-welfare-safety statiions a clear 24
hour a day use.  Embassies world wide were sometimes issued the right to
only a set number of freqs, and could go no where else.  Ditto, commercial
and other government facilities.  Those were listed on the master ITU lists
and were to be used ONLY by those assigned stations.  Each government entity
has full instructions on even how close one may get to another used freq, so
as to avoid inteference - even different figures for different modes.  It is
certainly not an easy set of rules to follow, nor is everyone dedicated to
following them.

What it comes down to, is if I am on 30 meters, and that darned wide spaced
RTTY station comes up and knocks me out of communication, I can do only one
thing - move.  If I am on 7.230  meters and running a contest and some Radio
Iran, etc. comes up on top of me, again I can only do one thing - move.
 Now - if they come up on 7.030 - I have some complaint, becuase that is not
their assigned freq in the ITU lists.  No SWBC station belongs on that freq.
But it may take us weeks or months to get it moved - and generally the word
comes back down that it was a 2nd or 4th or something harmonic and they have
fixed it.  Then you also have those few countries that just dont give a
darn, and put their transmitters where they want, when they want.  Many
times its because RADIO FREE PODUNK is already transmitting there with 50
watts, and the country that RFP is trying to overthrow puts up one of their
own mammoth transmitters to jam them out.  Politics!

So - if something is there avoid it.  If is is clear - use it.  If it
becomes jammed - move.  Dont worry about trying to hold on to a spot.  If
they want it - they will take it,
Your pip-squeak signals wouldnt do any harm to them anyway - and the other
end of your link isnt going to hear you either.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each.