Hello Rick,

>When I use PSK31, isn't the bandwidth pretty much set by the baud rate
The baud rate and the windowing (square, cosine...) chosen...

>down to say 100 Hz, is this changing anything in terms of its practical
>ability to work deeper into the noise?
There will be no change if you have only gaussian noise, but if you have QRM it
is another story.

>Or do they use a 3000 Hz BW for testing purposes and compare modes that way?
Yes to compare. For example, I want to compare modes at S/N=-10 dB:
I send a a signal of 1 mWatt and 10 mW of noise in 3KHz (so 3.33 mW per KHz).
Now among this noise you can send your 1 mWatt signal in the way you want
(RTTY, PSK...), the bandwidth you want (within 3 KHz) and also the coding you
want.
The judge will be the error rate: 2% is good, almost 100 % is bad.

>Doesn't this tend to favor the wider modes when it comes to claims of SNR?
No it is indifferent.

73
Patrick

  The part that I don't fully understand is the bandwidth calculation.

  When I use PSK31, isn't the bandwidth pretty much set by the baud rate
  and width of the signal? Often it is expressed as around double the baud
  rate or ~ 60 Hz.

  Now if I have my rig wide open with the 3.6 kHz bandwidth and tighten it