> >Or do they use a 3000 Hz BW for testing purposes and compare modes that way?
> Yes to compare. For example, I want to compare modes at S/N=-10 dB:
>
> I send a a signal of 1 mWatt and 10 mW of noise in 3KHz (so 3.33 mW per KHz).
>
> Now among this noise you can send your 1 mWatt signal in the way you want
> (RTTY, PSK...), the bandwidth you want (within 3 KHz) and also the coding you
> want.
>
> The judge will be the error rate: 2% is good, almost 100 % is bad.

I guess you mean 2% character errors after going through the FEC mill?

For pskmail ARQ to repair that efficiently you want an error rate of < 1%.
Anything worse
generates lots of repeats or overhead through shorting of the packets.
Fortunately we can often find a channel which is good enough by using the
optimum
band and/or going to a free frequency.

73,

Rein PA0R

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: