I am fairly naïve to this situation, but have been a ham for the last 35
years.  I wonder, which narrow band modes do you refer to for use in a dire
emergency?

CW?  How many CW ops do you think there will be left in 50 years, or even 10
years?  And, if you are 500 miles out at sea, and need to make a contact or
log your position, no cell phone, and with crappy band conditions, how
effective do you really think voice or RTTY will be?  I can tell you,
useless.

Of course, one can make the point that sailors can use commercial sailmail
systems, but what a great way to encourage sailors to become hams.  How many
hams do we think will be left in 50 years?  Less or more than today?  A
friend of mine re-entered the hobby when he voyaged across the pacific and
used Winlink and HF voice along with other modes just to stay in touch.  He
had no other communication modes available.

Maybe there is a better way than to abolish higher bandwidth digital in the
HF spectrum.  How about further band segment segregation?

My $0.02

Michael

  _____