W2XJ wrote:

>  Written in great spin mister style. I disagree with the
>  unsubstantiated claims made in this and other posts by Bonnie. I
>  participate in various digital modes but I know that they will not be
>  a major factor in a true emergency. Anyone who uses that ruse is just
>  playing politics.

The Pactor community has its own agenda which mainly involves squeezing
the rest of the digital hams into a tiny sliver of the bands, operating
on sufferance of powerful, non-listening Pactor/Winlink stations.  These
stations reserve the right to seize a frequency from others by sheer
mechanical force and robot perseverance.  This agenda will make someone
a lot of money selling proprietary Pactor hardware, and allow a few
people to control a LOT of spectrum.  As best I can determine the
petition in question would put an end to this.  What good can come of
1.5Khz wide, high-powered stations transmitting without listening?  None
at all, is the obvious answer.

de Roger W6VZV