The problem with PACTOR III is that it is downward compatible with
narrower  modes PACTOR AND PACTOR II. The 500 kHz mode is compatible
with narrow modes in the CW sections. The wide mode is only compatible
with SSB. If you look at the SCS website, they promote PACTOR III as a
commercial mode mostly for maritime operation. The rules in the US seem
to prohibit PACTOR III if it is downward compatible. I still believe
that if you can afford a sea going yacht you can afford the appropriate
non amateur communications systems that are much more reliable.