> We did this between Illinois and Texas, and between North Carolina and
> Texas
> so we did not have the benefit of NVIS.  This probably increased our
> retries.
>
> Can we control the size of transmitted units? Or does the program reduce
> unit
> size in difficult conditions?
>
> Thanks for a great package.  We will be trying it out on VHF as well.
>
> Howard K5HB

Howard, in Flarq, go to configure and look at the values in the right-hand
column. More specifically, the Exponent is a 2^N factor which delineates the
size of the text data block that is transmitted in a data frame.  2^5 is 32
and should be satisfactory for most s/n conditions.  If you are experiencing
many repeats you can lower the Exponent value.  If the path between rx and
tx stations is very good you could increase its value.

Since I have concentrated on testing on VHF (two meters) where there is
little QSB to contend with, I use the default values will great success. It
may take some experimenting on HF to find the optimum values for the items
in the rightmost column.

In my QSO with Russ, he sent a one-line message and that required no
repeats, probably because the fading was over a long period compared to the
message and when it started and stopped.

I'd be interested in hearing what values you find are usually best on fading
HF paths. The degree and frequency of the fading will probably depend upon
the time of day.

A major point is that the message always gets though without any errors,
even if it takes a little longer than it would with optimum settings. You
must have been working at the threshold of readability, since PSK125 did not
do as well as PSK63. PSK63 has a 3 dB S/N advantage over PSK125, but is half
the speed.

Anyway, great test of the NBEMS! Thanks!

73, Skip

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

<*> Your email settings: