I beacon with a ARQ'd PSK63 signal on 30M this morning and Skip KH6TY
(in 4-land) connected with me .  I had seen FLARQ work before , under
Linux, when visiting Skip's shack in the summer.  I tried hard to find
others willing to test it on HF but only had partial success with a
local ham on 6M and he had a drifting tube rig.  A couple of other 40M
tests did not go well , mostly pilot errors

So, today Skip and I worked PSK63, 125, and 250 ,  He with 25 watts
and an attic 80M antenna and me with a 40M inverted V and 35 watts,
both not with "the best" antennae.   Each th PSK modes achieved a
completed file transfer and , importantly, the received text was thus
100% accurate.  PSK63 was without any re-tries.  PSK125 was with a
couple of re-tries, and PSK250 had several.  The point is...  that all
worked !  When typing keyboard-style in PSK250 it was hard to decode
more than 60% of the text but , obviously, with ARQ for the file
transfer we achieved 100 copy.

So, when we posted about this in September, we emphasized the
potential for this software to become a reliable method for sending
emergency communications without reliance on the Internet or without
wide-mode digital methods.  Skip also emphasized how useful this will
be on VHF, the primary target frequencies for regional communications.
 I will try again to get my local ARES colleagues to download the new
Windows version and see if I can persuade them to try it on local 2M
and 6M frequencies.  I recall that Skip's net in Mount Pleasant was
having reliable communications up to a 150 mile range on VHF.

So, folks.  What Skip and Dave proclaimed appears to be true, I
encourage all to try it and set up some email and file transfer tests.
 We have a simple to operate, narrow band, robust digital mode , with
ARQ when needed.  It will work when there is no Internet!

Get the free software from http://w1hkj.com/NBEMS/ .   It takes less
that 2 minutes to configure the software, it is simple but give me a
shout if you need help setting it up.

--
Andy K3UK
www.obriensweb.com

The NBEMS development team is pleased to announce the availability of a
Windows NBEMS software suite for beta testing.

The NarrowBand Emergency Messaging System (NBEMS) for Windows is a suite of
software programs designed for point-to-point, fast, error-free, emergency
messaging up to or over 100 miles distant, and takes up a very minimum of
space on the ham bands, leaving more space for all other ham activites.

The system is designed primarily for use on the two-meter band, or on HF
with NVIS antennas, where there is a minimum of fading (QSB) to slow down
message transfers. Two meters has the advantage that distances long enough
to span disaster areas of up to 100 miles can be dependably covered with
small, portable antennas. In hilly regions, if two meters is not workable
over the distances required, NVIS antennas on HF can be employed instead,
but are not nearly as portable.

The system uses the computer soundcard as the modem and, other than a simple
interface connection between the computer and transceiver, no additional
hardware is needed.

Composing and sending emergency messages on NBEMS utilizes the same Outlook
Express, Outlook, or Windows Mail, email program used for Internet email,
and is no more difficult than sending an email over the Internet. Messages
just go over the radio instead, when the Internet, phone service, or
repeater system is not locally reachable in an emergency.

PSK63, PSK125, or PSK250 is used to modulate either two-meter SSB, or HF SSB
transmitters, using horizontally polarized antennas for greatest range. Two
meters is unique in that the propagation is more constant than on the lower
bands from 6 meters on down, range is greater, and absorption less, than on
the lowest UHF band, 70 cm, so much wider modes, that handle QSB by
continuing to work far below the noise level, are not needed.

This point-to-point system does not utilize repeaters, or email robots, for
message forwarding. All forwarding is always done by stations manned by live
operators on both ends, who can comfirm that a frequency is clear locally,
negotiate a QSY if necessary to avoid causing interference, and confirm
delivery of a message by the intended recipient. The system depends upon a
multitude of radio amateurs providing the traditional public service
function, similar to the way they always have, and gives more hams a chance
to help out with emergency communications without requiring a large hardware
investment.

The software can also be used for daily casual communications on PSK31,
PSK63, RTTY, or MFSK16 and is capable of sending flawless, high resolution,
passport photo-sized color images, in less than 10 minutes over any path
that can sustain PSK250 without excessive repeats.

All the members on this digitalradio reflector are invited to participate in
the beta test of the NBEMS. The NBEMS suite can be downloaded for beta
testing from: http://w1hkj.com/NBEMS/ .

Please give the system a try and send comments and bug reports to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Happy New Year to you all!

The NBEMS Development Team

Skip, KH6TY