From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:24 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] JT65A reports

There seems to be a difference btween reporting systems between the US
system and the European system on terrestrial JT65A contacts.

Can anyone explain to me when a contact is 'valid' between two stations
using the two different systems please?

For example, I received the following today (callsigns obscured to not
cause offence) on 20M

163700 12 -2 0.0 5 4 * CQ EA*** JM** 1 0
163900 10 -5 0.1 5 3 * G0DJA EA*** JM** 1 0
164100 6 -6 0.0 5 3 * G0DJA EA*** 1 0
164300 10 -15 4 3 RRR ?

That was it, no report, not even "OOO"s. I was using what, in the
guide, says is the European standard of sending the received dB signal
strength, but the EA station was using the US version, appart from no "OOO".

A quick read through the excellent Bozos guide gave me the clue that the
other station was double left clicking on callsigns (US system
reports)and I am double right clicking (Eu system reports).

Now, two questions occur to me at this point.
1. Is my EA contact 'good' or 'incomplete' and
2. What's going to happen when US stations and Eu stations work each other?

I wonder why two reporting systems were created for terrestrial JT65A?
My guess is that the US one will win out anyway, as that just seems to
be the way these things go and left clicking is more "the norm" than
right anyway, so why the alternative systems?

Also, whilst I'm asking questions, why does double right clicking
automatically turn Auto TX to ON? If you are not careful, and want to
pre-load a callsign to call at the end of an existing QSO, you end up
accidentally TXing over the top of the person working the station you
want to have a go at next. This seems a bit like poor operating and
it's not untill you do it for the first time that you realise what's
happening...

Thanks for any help with these problems I'm having - Dave (G0DJA)