>Not knocking the volunteers for sure.  I do have a question.  How come
>the money wasn't invested in public safety equipment using public
>safety NTIA assigned frequencies to do the same thing?

      the cost involved to purchase
commercial equipment, antennas, peripherals, labor to install, and money to
implement training for multiple employees,  for every county in the
State.     That $250.000 would be a drop in the bucket.   The State is
getting one heck of a deal by providing this equipment to the local ham
ARES/RACES county groups and letting those hams provide all the rest of the
necessities.

      Ed   K7AAT