"

A. APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) uses a Terminal Node
Controller (a type of radio modem) to transmit data over a packet
radio network. Its primary function permits radio amateurs to
automatically report their position, which is then displayed on a
computerised map. It can however, also be used to send and receive
short text messages. This can be utilised by Adaptive Home Logic to
receive instruction and to send alerts & status reports, allowing the
system to be remotely monitored & controlled by a mobile radio (with a
built-in TNC) independently of anyone else's communication
infrastructure, and because messages are relayed by each station
across a packet network, it's possible to stay in reliable radio
contact with the system from a great distance using fairly low powered
or even portable equipment. This is particularly useful when the other
more conventional forms of communication are simple not available,
possible or prohibitively expensive, such as a home automation system
on a yacht, RV or at a remote rural location."

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "acentient_software"