From: "Rud Merriam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:47 PM
Subject: [digitalradio] TV Whitespace Testing

The FCC is doing testing for the use of broadband wireless in the space
between TV channels. See
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2250638,00.asp.

The challenge is kind of like BPL: preventing interference with any adjacent
digital channels. From my reading, it looks like they are trying to sense
when adjacent channels are in use and not use that space. This makes sense
for a commercial product since it would be a challenge to get users to
configure systems to avoid active channels.

I wonder if we could get some channels made available for hams? Possible
propose using specific whitespaces on a regional basis. The proposal would
determine two open channels in an area and use the whitespace between them.
For example, channels 18 and 19 here in Houston are not used so they would
be an available whitespace. (I am not sure how the digital channel
assignments change availability of whitespace.)

Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://TheHamNetwork.net