> If you spend a lot of money on an interface,
> it's because you wanted to, not because you need to.

Right !

The main points of such an interface are to provide isolation between PC
and Rig. This is normally done by audio-transformers for the mic and
speaker lines, optoisolators for ptt line.

The main problem i have seen in commercial interfaces is a bad frequency
response for the audio. 50hz to 3khz should be flat. With some interfaces,
it's not.

The other problem are the cat-ptt devices. There is no point in having the
audio isolated but running a ground-loop trough the cat-interface. I think
the simple optoisolated "single rts ptt" devices are superior. If you have
to use CAT for PTT you need a fully isolated CAT port !

The "ideal" solution would be to run the whole audio and ptt trough
optical cables. Most soundcards do support optical, but i have never seen
the Rig-counterpart for this.

If you are a builder, it's a hand full of parts. If you