Lots of interesting things.

I completely accept that VHF SSB (which can also mean digital)
communication is really the only practical longer distance VHF mode that
works without infrastructure. But will we have a turn around in the
number of operators who actually use these modes? There is no question
that an increasing number of hams have the equipment now. But very few
are using them for 6 and 2 meter SSB. Fewer hams are operating weak
signal SSB, which has caused a significant  drop in interest considering
that there are several times as many hams today than when this was much
more popular.

A local weak signal ham (50 miles north) said to me recently that years
ago (decade or more) there used to be many midwest U.S. stations on 2
meter SSB, both fixed and mobile. But that is no longer true. And there
does not seem to be any improvement as of late. Maybe other areas are
seeing some increase?

But the unaswered question is, how much different would the path gain be
between horizontal and vertical polarization? And that might depend on
the distance since it seems that the farther out you go, perhaps the
horizontal polarization gives a slight edge. But really how much of an
edge?

Isn't it really the gain of the antenna over the polarization of the
antenna? Just because weak signal operators use horizontal does not mean
that emergency and local SSB operators need to do this.

We have many stations (most stations) that have gain on vertical and
nothing available on horizontal and never will have anything on
horizontal. Even hams who buy a multimode/multiband rig and now might
want to try SSB or digital are rarely buying a new beam just for 2 meter
SSB. Partly because of cost, partly because they can not due to local
restrictions, and partly because they often have upgraded and also want
to put energy into HF.

The other factor that seems to be in play, is that there does not seem
to be much correlation between hams who do weak signal and also do
public service, compared with the ham who is primarily involved in
public service and might add an new dimension to their operation if
asked to provide this needed service providing that they could use their
existing antenna or at least not have to have two separate antennas.

Consider the number of FM hams who have beams on vertical polarization
including fairly high gain antennas such as the double 13 element
Cushcrafts. Using vertical polarization, they can often use FM to access
repeaters from one side of our state to the other but unlike SSB they
can drop below the threshold at times as there can be QSB on these kinds
of signals. SSB would give them at least 6 dB or more margin and digital
should give quite a bit more.

Your comment about PSK63 only working 50% of the time when you have
marginal phone communication makes me wonder if the digital modes are
able to work as deeply into the noise as claimed. Shouldn't there be
solid copy in PSK modes, even PSK250 or at least PSK125 at a few dB
below zero dB S/N? Phone communication, even SSB would need a bit over
zero dB wouldn't it?