Thanks Andy, and to add to the "Dead Band" reports, W8LEW and myself
(KE5HAM) recently experimented on 30 meters trying to determine how
low we could go in power. We started out with about 50 watts and
managed to drop our power progressively to 1 watt on each end and
maintain 100% contacts - distance between us is 1189 miles (Edna,
Texas to Lansing, Michigan)--- We used several different modes
successfully..... Antennas on both ends were simple inverted V
dipoles .... We repeated the tests several times .... yes, the band
must be dead ....

John