Andy,

Video ID is nice but when sent "horizontal" it has a very low average
power so won't work well in poor conditions. The RS ID is sequential
MFSK and will have 100% power. Also the Video ID doesn't automatically
"tune in" your software.

In MultiPSK it is possible to use both types of ID before a transmission
and this is useful if testing out a relatively unknown mode and you want
others who don't run MultiPSK to know what you are transmitting in and
those that do to automatically switch modes.

The only thing I would warn against is using the Video ID in an ARQ mode
as it adds a significant delay to the switching. ALE400 FAE has the
ability to transmit the RS ID only on initial calls and connects and
then it is turned off for the duration of the QSO. An upshot of this is
that if you know there is a MultiPSK enabled machine on frequency you
can "SELCAL" it and make the link without the other operator doing
anything. Even if you are off tune the other machine will home in on
your signal and if it is the right call it will respond to you. I have
used this to successfully send John VE5MU an "email" with a binary
attachment without any intervention required by him. Of course the ARQ
nature of ALE400 FAE means that the email + attachment get sent without
error and you are notified that the sending was successful.

73, Sholto.