Questions:

I have often wondered why they are called pilot stations. That sounds
like they are the early experimental ones? Or does that mean something else?

What is the real difference between using SMTP vs Winlink 2000's
network? What does it mean for the users? It would seem that going
through the HFLink system and then the Winlink 2000 system would add
unnecessary layers of complexity to a very complex system and internet
routing.

What does it mean when you say "according to the needs and availability
of the resource"?