I echo a lot of Rick's sentiments in traffic handling.

There are two types of traffic that we as amateurs would typically handle.
One would be the local VHF/UHF tactical messaging as back-up or replacement
for local systems and local responders. Secondly we would also handle
state/province wide and national messaging in the event of a major disaster.

Many of the responding agencies have recognized this need and have built
both HF and VHF/UHF capabilities into mobile command units and EOC comms
centers. Problem being when the poop hits the fan there is not an organized
net that these folks can go to, at least in Canada. We are working to
resolve that and also build in the ability to communicate with Homeland
Security on cross border incidents. I have been working with several federal
and provincial agencies and hopefully solve the net issues into the new
year.

>From an outsider's point of view, it is unfortunate that MARS has decided
not to share any software with non-MARS members, particularly MARS-ALE. This
limits the ability of MARS to function in an emergency environment since
non-members could not assist, and there is also the issue of the learning
curve.  ALE adherents talk of a national traffic system being in place for
over 500 days. This is NOT a message system until stations can pass more
than a one-line message between each other, and there seems to be little
interest in pursuing message handling beyond a one line message. These folks
are only fooling themselves and their served agencies unless they practice
moving a larger message . There are good reasons for training at times other
than the heat of battle!!

So far there are a few digital software products out there which show
promise.  Some , like RFSM800 can handle higher speed transfers but are not
very robust and need a pretty good signal to work well.  Olivia and FAE400
are slower but do work well into the noise.  From what I have heard so far
from beta testers, WINMOR has some promise. We do need a good compromise,
with the ability to store and forward digital messages and work reasonably
well into the noise.

John

VE5MU