Conditions just now are at night hostile to even NVIS.  We sometimes eke
out ground wave between MARS members here with vertical antennas below --
well below -- 3.5 MHz. Some nights I'd like something below 1.8!
Nevertheless, my mobile setup, when I have it installed, covers 160-440.
MARS frequencies too, of course.   I dont rely on the mobile antenna, with
a spool of telco CO wire cheap and handy.  I have Elk 2/440 LPDA's and
painters poles, too.

Making a communication system work requires forethought as to HOW it can be
done for the requirement of the time.  Frequency coordination that doesn't
allow for propagation can hobble even a California Kilowatt, assuming
anyone had a big enough generator and a 6X6. -- and ravine comms on VHF is
really not a good idea.  Some prior planning and practice is needed.

A club I used to belong to supported bicycle rides over some pretty poor
VHF radio paths.  It helped when we TESTED those paths.   Sometimes a
remote cross band mobile repeater was needed. Sometimes an FRS radio link
(but the Feds can't legally use those) to the rest stop or aid station from
a nearby hill.  But we can't rely on such things appearing from thin air.

Or helping when large amounts of message traffic must be passed.

There has been some discussion involving communication to customer WiFi and
Bluetooth.    Where it has been tried it has apparently been well received
and these are of course well suited for digital traffic.

The holes in our planning are not yet all known, either.

Cortland
KA5S
AAR5UT

Field?