Thanks John, I did as you suggested, the CPU fan was always active.
It now works, having checked all obvious items, and with nothing to
lose, I did the best trick known to hams...I gave a BIG wiggle on the
video cable at the PC connector and after about a minute of wiggling,
akin to just banging it !   I got a signal!

Andy K3UK