John, Rick,

Copied the following on 3584.5, 1631.1 Hz. It might help to specify the tone
frequency next time. Not sure I every copied John on my end.

CQ KV9U>VE5MU CQ KV9U>VE5MU CQ KV9U>VE5MU CQ KV9U>VE5MU VE5MU DE KV9U H H ad
to get me sound card switched back properly to mike in put from auxilary
input. This happ to mike in put from auxilary input. This happ ens every
time I run my contest logging progra m, n1mm. Very odd. Good to make the
connecti on this evening. Running 20 watts at the moment . lly think that
this mode is w ay underutilized for public ser ivice and emergency use since
it is fairly sensitive and not too wide either. I tried 40 meters first but
no thing connected and there is foreign br oadcast stations on or very near
the frequenc on the disc. AS
DE K(V9U
VE5MU DE KV9U Sign Sign als are just at the noise level at the moment . . W
ell on second thought, not qui te true, several s units above the noise .
I would be surprised if 141A will work but lets try it. Why not connect and
try and send message from you to me again?
DE KV9U
End of QSO VE5MU DE KV9U F or some reason it will someti mes lock up and I
can not seem to stop the current status and reset job though had to
completely terminat e the program a few times and restart . Maybe I just
don't know the correct procedu and it was very close to a cw station that I
could not clip off without affecting the lower tone. wish that this mode was
in the NBEMS suite , but thus far they feel that this may be beyond their
ability to include. I thi I thi nk that Winmor, if it has a peer to peer
mode, w ill be VERY popular since once you set it up f or one mode such as
e-mail it can adapt to other conditions. And the nice thing is that you can
u se the narrow modes down to 200 Hz wide which should make it ham friendly
when you don't nee d the speed. The Winlink 2000 group holds it s cards very
close to the vest as they are not rea lly looking at what is good for
amateur radio, but what is good for Winlink 2000. That is past deeds of not
being willing to open even the protocol. But maybe they will even the
protocol. But maybe they will ve several specific frequencies I understand.
If you have listened to their sample, it is really not a pleasant sounding
mode, and is mor e like you get with higher baud rate signals. D E KV9U....
H FLink tried to go t heir own way, then tried to "interoperate " with
Winlink 2000 which is really not ver y practical and is downright foolish
when you Instead they put their system in line with Winli nk's servers, so
if Winlink 2000 fails , they are likely to fail as well. They have not been
able to give me a reason why they want to use Winlink's system when they
really don't h ave to do this. Bonnie had a real shouting match 00 site and
the next day, everything was OK an d all FB. Needless to say, she had to get
on the phone and agreed to just do whatever they wanted because she knew
that she wou ld be frozen out otherwise.
DE KV9u ... i , it sure is a nice setu p, but with my situatiuon, I would
have no ohter stat ions to communicate with here in Wiscosnsin, since no one
else has it to speak of and Pactor itself, the ori ginal pactor is not going
t o be competitive with PWinmor. Even P2 will get some competition with
Winmor exc really poor condx. I thnk I thnink the signal to noise ratioi is
getting a b it better than when we started. Y es, the tremendous advan tage
with a stand alone box that uses the computer primarily as a dumb terminal
is that it is so much easier to get it to work. We have had the local EC
demonstarate the VHF type of Winlink 2000 on two separate times to our
group. Both times it failed to work even one mi le to the Telpac!!! pretty
bad. Not sure what was causing the problem, but obviously no t a good thing
to fail if we had really needed i t. I can type fairly fast, but I can't
keep the error rate down wit hout going back quite often and redo stuff. S
ometimes I can get a good stream going and then e verything falls apart, HI
HI. DE KV9U
\
OK John great to chat a bit and try something like file transfers that
actually work AR Q. HI. 7 7 3's for now VE5MU DE KV9U and see u later this
has bee 3's for now VE5MU DE KV9U CLyou disco\nnect
Signals were easily visible on the waterfall, but sometimes there was no
decoding. Fast QSB here in South Carolina. Signal from Rick were 2 S-units
over the noise level.

73, Skip KH6TY