> I'm still fairly inexperienced at the whole amateur radio thing - so
> far, I have my basic license and a VHF handheld. I'd like to start
> exploring digital modes, and am hoping that you might be able to
> suggest what sort of rig would work well for that.
>
> I do have two limitations, though; I live in what's effectively a
> ground-floor apartment, and am thus limited in what sort of antenna I
> can put on my patio; and have a somewhat limited budget - call it
> US$500 at the outside, and preferably less, if possible. Given that,
> does it seem feasible to start getting involved in this aspect of ham,
> or should I focus my attention elsewhere?

Daniel, excellent advice from Andy! You will probably get the best "bang for
the buck" by purchasing a secondhand HF SSB transceiver, building a simple
meter vertical with four elevated radials, and using PSK31 on 20 meters, but
getting a General license would be a necessary and most beneficial priority.
The Small Wonder Labs (smallwonderlabs.com) PSK20 kit is only just over $100
and you can work the world with it on PSK31.

However, while you are studying for your General license, check out the
"Eclectic Technology" column in this March QST for an additional idea. Maybe
you can get something going in your area that will generate activity. We
have had a nice little twice-weekly informal 2 meter FM ragchew net going
now for two years, covering a radius of 40 miles using simple homebuilt
horizontally polarized antennas without using the repeaters at all, and are
now beginning to even make random contacts as more people become interested
in digital FM on 2 meters. The secret to achieving long range is using
horizontally-polarized antennas, but it takes another station doing the
same, and I hope it will come in time.

73, Skip KH6TY