KV9U wrote:

> He mentions that it is a suite of Windows sound card programs allowing
> ARQ exchanges of messages, but one of the compelling features of fldigi
> and flarq which make up the suite of programs, is that they work cross
> platform. No other software of this type has this capability to work
> with Windows XP, Vista, Mac, Linux and Free BSD. The impression seemed
> to be that fldigi can work with Windows and Linux.

Yes, fldigi is a cross-platform program and works on both Windows and Linux,
etc.

> A really important point was that Skip, KH6TY, found it possible to use
> DominoEX modes with FM modulation and work farther than SSB phone. That
> is a very significant new finding. Anyone else having luck with that?
> What about other modes with FM?

DominoEx has been found to be more successful than either PSK31 or MFSK16
(the two most popular high sensitivity modes), and for QSO's and contest
exchanges, DominoEX 4 is still fast enough (but too slow for messaging) at
25 wpm, and works the best of all when you are far under limiting and with
poor S/N. DominoEX is not as critical to tune and more resistant to
multipath interference than PSK31, so I think it will be the mode of choice
for FM DX, outperforming both PSK31 and MFSK16 when the S/N is very poor, as
will always be the case for the weakest stations.

> Would it also be true that DominoEX (and other modes) would work even
> farther with SSB digital vs FM digital?

Yes, the advantage of SSB over FM we find to be around 3-4 dB or more.
However, CW works as well as DominoEx 4, and going to CW is already
customary in the weak signal community when SSB phone cannot make it. When
propagation is poor, you will sometimes find stations calling CQ in CW on
the phone calling frequency (144.2 MHz), and then QSY'ing to a clear
frequency, just as phone operators also generally do.

> Even though horizontal polarization was emphasized, the fact is that
> hams with FM only rigs do not have horizontal antennas and vertical to
> vertical should work very well, even if there may be a slight edge to
> horizontal. Has anyone else been able to do any comparisons between H to
> H and V to V on FM?

All the current SSB phone weak signal operators and VHF contesters use
horizontal polarization. If those operators simply download fldigi and get
an interface (the SignaLink USB works really well, even on FM-only
transceivers with no VOX), they will have an incentive to work more grids
and states during contests. For long distance FM DX, these operators,
already equipped with high gain antennas (horizontally polarized) and
amplifiers, looking for more grid multipliers and Q's during the VHF
contests, probably represent the largest potential intererst group for
working FM DX other than those with FM-only transceivers looking for new
ways to enjoy the hobby. So, those who want to work them will need to get a
horizontally polarized, fairly high gain antenna, and a small rotator.

The gain of most current verticals that are not on a rotator probably tops
out at around 6.2 dBi, which is not enough gain to work very far, except
during strong openings. To work any reasonable amount of FM DX, a rotator
and an antenna with at least 10 dBi of gain will be needed, and the VHF
contesters generally have 14 dBi of antenna gain or more.

It is not anticipated that very many of those interested in working toward
VUCC on 2 meters, or even doing fairly well in VHF contests, will be
satisfied with the range of their current verticals (even to someone else's
current vertical), so if a higher gain antenna is needed, they might as well
go to a rotator and horizontal polarization and be able to work the existing
weak signal operators that we think will only need to add an interface in
order to improve their contest scores by working both FM DX and SSB DX.

Those who already have vertically polarized yagi's and still want to work
repeaters can just rotate the yagi 45 degrees in roll and cover both
polarizations with 3 dB less gain on each polarization. However, 3 dB is
very significant in terms of range on 2 meters, so the operator may later
decide to rotate the additional 45 degrees and pick up the additional 3 dB
in gain.

We are using 145.000 MHz as a calling frequency in our area, which has
seemed to work out quite well. It is still within the SWR bandwidth of the
high gain 2 meter SSB weak signal antennas and far enough away from repeater
frequencies so as not to experience any desensitization. 145.000 is also
within the ARRL Bandplan for 2 meters in the "Weak signal and FM simplex "
area.

73, Skip KH6TY