Andy,

I have also found that Windows will reassign USB ports if anything is
plugged in or unplugged. My solution was to set the default sound system
to the onboard system and use USB for the ham devices, such as the
SignaLink USB. The problem is especially troublesome when I plug my
WebCam microphone in and out. If you use Skype, it will also "grab" your
microphone. Sorry, that I don't have a foolproof solution for you., but
offer you comfort in misery! ;-)

73, Skip KH6TY