Rick,

ARQ is perfect for being sure emcomm and other messages are delivered
error-free, but for chatting, most people will not want to slow things
down waiting for an acknowledgment. Rather, they just ask for a repeat
when it is needed. In addition,  we can correct errors (a single
apparently misspelled word, for example) with what we think is the right
word, or fill in a missing word with our brains (since we can visualize
things in context). Overall, this is usually faster than using ARQ and
good enough for casual conversation.

However, for sending pictures, ARQ is sometimes absolutely necessary,
especially with a compression technique in which a single byte ruins the
whole picture.

The Western Pennsylvania emcomm group has fully implemented NBEMS over
both repeaters and simplex, but mostly over VHF, and, because VHF tends
to be more constant and tends to be much more error-free than HF, did
not want to spend the extra time (on any mode or speed) to slow down for
ARQ, so we developed the Wrap program, which sends a checksum at the end
of the message, and error-free reception can be verified that way.

On our MARS emcomm net, MT63 on HF usually produces error-free copy on
the statewide net, and Wrap is useful with MT63 also just for verifying
that there were no errors, or indicating that a resend is necessary.

However, far enough away, there may always be some stations, under poor
conditions, that either need a repeat of the whole message, or need to
have ARQ used to repeat bad blocks if there are many. The advantage of
Wrap is that a one-on-one ARQ link is not needed except when that is the
only way to get the message through. Bulletins can be transmitted in
MT63 and received error-free by most stations, with others needing a
resend, or perhaps a relay.

On VHF SSB weak signal phone, it is common practice to use "vocal FEC"
(to coin a term!) and just repeat callsigns twice or "over" twice to
accomplish the contact during poor conditions. The standard call on CW
is a 3x3 call, which is a type of "manual" FEC to try to get at least
one of each callsign through.

Most files these days are very large, compared to those in DOS days, and
with the bandwidth limitations on HF, it just takes too long to send a
very large file, even using a fast mode and ARQ, so I think there is
little interest in file transfer on the bands either. Still, I have
always though it would be very convenient to be able to send a schematic
to explain something, but these days, that can be done with most
stations by using the Internet.

FAE400 is a great development, but the learning curve is too steep for
emcomm operators thrust into a position without much training. That is
why we elected to use commonly used digital modes and provide ARQ with
flarq when necessary, and the learning curve is not as steep that way.

ARQ definitely has its place, but is usually needed for messaging or
when poor conditions require it (for example, if QSB is strong). I think
that is why only a handful of hams have any interest in ARQ modes for
chatting.

That is how I see it. Other's opinions may vary, of course.

73, Skip KH6TY
NBEMS Development Team

--
*Skip KH6TY*