  From: Wes Cosand
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:42 AM
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Comparison of RTTY software sensitivity - New
tests

  Patrick, thank you for your kind note.

  I discovered, as you have known for a long time, that testing RTTY is not
easy because of random figures/letters shifts.  As you said, a single
inappropriate shift can mess up a lot of characters!  That makes the statistics
difficult.

  My test text file is at

http://mysite.verizon.net/wz7i/Text%20file%20for%20testing%20communications%20software.html

  I used call signs and about 30% five number groups to try to deal with this
issue.  I tested with UOS off because of the number groups.  It may be that I
should have used a shorter file and then tested it with different audio files a
number of times to get reasonable statistics but that seemed too much work...
chuckle...  The error bars on the graph might have been significant.  Instead I
tried to run a long enough text file to average out all the random shifts.  It
probably wasn't long enough to try to analyze the data too closely.

  I, too, tested with AFC off.  I used the audio frequencies used for FSK so
that is a difference.  Our audio levels were about the same -- 40% sounds about
right.

  As I said earlier, it is possible that I have incorporated some error in my
methods.  It is possible that I am "straining at gnats and swallowing camels"
:-)

  Thank you for your patience with me.

  73 de Wes, WZ7I