MFSK16 always seems to come up near or at the top of the simulated tests but I
can't duplicate that in the real world.

My experience is that Olivia 8/500 does as well if not better and gives MUCH
greater latitude in tuning while still providing 100% copy under moderate to
poor conditions.  Olivia 16/500 is much slower but goes way into the noise
where I've had terrible results with MFSK16 under the same conditions.  And if
8/250 Olivia (slower yet) doesn't do it, I just turn off the HF rig.

BTW, my experience is almost all on 80m with NVIS antennae.

-Dave, KB3FXI