Unfortunately, the ROS explanation of Spread Spectrum and Frequency Hopping in the documentation too closely resembles the definition of Spread Spectrum as written in the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum. Since ROS claims to be Frequency Hopping and Spread Spectrum by its own documentation, it is, no matter what you want to call it.

The FCC recently clarified what a repeater is because a group insisted that any time delay meant it was not actually repeating, but their argument lost.

There is good reason to want the FCC to allow ROS to be used in the automatic subbands, but that will take time and a petition. Looks like a good mode!

73 - Skip KH6TY

Dave Ackrill wrote:
Andy obrien wrote:
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbzY3MjhrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjY1OTc1MzA-?o=6 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbzY3MjhrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjY1OTc1MzA-?o=6>>Joe,
> N8FQ...
>
> http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/d-305.html <http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/d-305.html>
>
> Describes Spread Spectrum as not permitted on HF. Is there another part of
> part 97 I am missing ?
>
> Andy K3UK

I'd actually say that the term 'spread spectrum' is actually incorrect
as far as RIO is concerned. It's actually no more 'spread' than some of
the other digi-modes and less 'spread' than some versions of Olivia.

I think real 'spread spectrum' uses many different bands, selecting the
best band/bands and width set-up and has a much wider 'bandwidth' than
RIO does.

Does anyone have a definition of real spread spectrum? As I hate to
think what will happen when/if people with even less knowledge than I
have of what 'real' spread spectrum is get the idea that RIO is
something that it is actually not and start their inevitable campaign of
'It's illegal, it's immoral and it makes you fat', to use the words of
the song...

Dave (G0DJA)