Dave,

It is probably wrong to assume that there are any groups opposed to using ROS in the US. I don't see that at all. US hams generally try to follow the FCC regulations as best they can, and if they are not sure what they mean, they ask. If the reply is not to their liking, that is too bad, but they prefer to follow the law. I don't think it is any more complicated than that.

The thing to do is be as smart as possible and do what is necessary to either get the FCC opinion reversed, or petition to allow spread spectrum (that can be monitored by third parties, as ROS already can be) if the bandwidth does not exceed the width of a SSB phone signal.

The people at the FCC's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, which is probably the one that will finally interpret what you can and cannot do, are very reasonable, in my opinion, as I have had direct communications with them as an appointed member of the ARRL committee on regulation by bandwidth. Now is not the time to blame groups of different opinions for what has now been decided, but to work hard and as smart as possible to convince the FCC that it is OK to use ROS on HF. As I suggested to Jose, merely changing words, or blaming it on translation, is not going to succeed, in my opinion. Rather PROOF that it is not spread spectrum (i.e. does NOT meet condition #2) will probably do it, but just saying so will not.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Dave Ackrill wrote:
John wrote:

> This should easily provide any US amateur plenty of backup to be able to show good faith that he is operating within the US FCC rules.

I think that you may be ignoring me John, and possibly for good reasons.

However, and I do hate to be a wet blanket, but your opponents in the
USA are not going to go away just because you want them to. And I talk
as one who wants ROS to be legal in the USA, as well as everywhere else,
so that we can all use the mode.

Now that some people have it in their heads that ROS is Spread Spectrum
you have an up hill task to persuade them that it isn't. You now also
have a number of people who have all the ammunition to fire back if you
say to the FCC that this isn't Spread Spectrum, as they've also seen the
same communications on here that I have.

Unfortunately, what we have now is some people who want to stop this
mode of transmission in the USA who seem to have obtained a decree from
a referent power that it is illegal. Unless you can get a retraction,
or a decree from a higher authority, the Amateur Radio enthusiasts that
wish to stop other Amateur Radio enthusiasts will just report the one
lot of Radio Amateurs to the authorities in the hope that they will stop
that lot of Radio Amateurs from enjoying the bands.

To go back to a Stranger in a Strange Land, you will grok that some of
us wish to hate the others.

Dave (G0DJA)