All,

I ran several path tests with ROS-16 and Olivia 2K this evening. The simulator
showed that Olivia is about as sensitive as ROS when configured to run at the
same baud rate, but it is not as sensitive when configured to run at the same
word-per-minute rate. Olivia 32/2K will runs about as fast as ROS, but it is
roughly 5db less sensitive.

Mode                   Sensitivity         baud rate            WPM

Olivia 128/2K          -14db                16            3 times slower than
ROS-16
Olivia   32/2K          -10db                64            same as ROS-16
ROS-16                  -15db               16

That increase in sensitivity seems to help ROS cope with certain poor channel
conditions (as per the path simulator) compared to Olivia running at the same
speed. In CCIR poor channel tests, for example, where selective fading sweeps
across the channel, ROS printed better than Olivia 32/2K with low
signal-to-noise ratios. On the other hand, Olivia 128/2K (16 baud) had an edge
over ROS under the same conditions, albeit, with much slower throughput.

In high-latitude tests, severe Doppler spread caused throughput to fall off
dramatically with ROS indicating that it will likely fail over severely
distorted polar paths. This occurred when the frequency spreading was above
25Hz (ITU-R high-latitude severe distortion). Olivia was not affected.

I found that ROS will not recover after the signal drops below it's minimum
decode threshold and will not trigger ROS to start receiving if the signal is
not strong enough at the beginning of the transmission. I'm not sure if this is
something inherent in the mode or if it's a bug in the software. I'm sure Jose
can answer that.

I should noted that Olivia 32/1K compares well with both ROS-16 and Olivia 2K
modes in terms of poor channel throughput. Olivia 16/500 does a fine job as
well. I suspect that ROS would perform well in an 8 baud / 1000Hz mode version.

Many thanks to Jose for the new mode.

Tony -K2MO