Julian, the problem is that the FCC regulations we live under are often more strict than the IARU bandplans. Under those regulations, RTTY/Data stops at 14.150.

Furthermore, the IARU band plans are only "recommendations" for member organizations. The FCC regulations are "laws" we MUST follow.

While this may seem unfair in some cases (often to everyone!) it is actually the FCC restriction on unattended operations to certain band segments that have kept the unattended stations from covering all the HF bands with Pactor-II and Pactor-III, which they would dearly like to do, so they would never have interference from one of their own kind. All modes, with no other legally-enforceable restrictions, would be a disaster for all our HF activities. The problem with "recommendations" is that they are only suggestions, so there are those who do not agree with the recommendations and just do what and where they wish. US amateurs, since they are governed instead by laws, face license revocation or fines if they consistently flaunt the laws.

73 - Skip KH6TY

g4ilo wrote:
I thought you were in Region 2. I have the Region 2 band plan in front of me right off the IARU site and it definitely says All Modes in all of the sections right up to 14.350. I don't see any division at 14.150 at all. In any case, I don't think you'd need to go as far even as 14.150 to find a frequency that hasn't been designated for use by some other modes.

Julian, G4ILO