The difference between spread spectrum and other systems is the pseudo-random generating of the frequencies and not frequencies determined by the data. It was originally done to prevent decoding without the synchronization code. It is only disallowed under FCC regulations on that basis. SSB also uses "frequency spreading" as has already been noted, but the frequencies are determined by the code. That is why there is no reason not to allow ROS except that technically the frequencies are independently determined by pseudo-random code generator. Modify the regulations to limit the bandwidth and require third-party monitoring and ROS would be legal, but as the regulations stand, rightly or wrongly, we are required to abide by them. The petition process with public comment prevents harmful emissions from being used.

Glad we are at the point you wanted to make. I have spent much to much time on this FHSS vs regulations issue, so I have to go on to something else now. The FCC has spoken, and correctly so, and if anyone wants to petition to change the regulations, they can do so.

73 - Skip KH6TY

rein...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
Hi Skip,

Thanks, we have arrived at the point I wanted to get to,

So lets go a little further on this path, suppose I changed the
tones in a not so random fashion. Like I had a way to generate
tones as I do when I speak or make music or like some of those synthesizers
or whatever they are, do not know the details exactly, but they
generate tones that make up language that it understandable, with training
would that be spread spectrum?

You say varying the tones is the same as varying the VFO to the
outside world, is that science?

Would it make a difference if feed the balance modulator with 100 Hz
or 2500 Hz. lets switch between to tunes, teletype, is that SS?

If I produce speech it is speech if the tones do not form speech, it
is ss modulation?

Are you seeing that SSB is SS? as A kid I use to build oscillators
I could speak to them, and they would swing, and could hear speach
in a radio, unstability or FM , SS?

Lets get to the core is WSJT spread spectrum and please explain to me
why. I just do not seem to get it... Explain me the physics of it. please

I just like to understand this.

73 Rein W6SZ